Day 44-La
A quick note on this little kid that Leif and I fed in Phnom Penh. PP has one main classy drag, Sisowath, complete with cute cafes, palm trees, a huge walkway lined with flags and right along the Mekong. It is very posh and lots of Khmer people hang out there to sell things, beg and fly kites. Anyhow, we were sitting at a cafe along Sisowath having dinner one night in the pouring rain (notice that the rain is recurring) and this little boy named La came up and motioned that he was hungry... He was pretty dirty and had on a wrestling t-shirt with big holes and some cute jams. He devoured Leif's french fries and we told him to sit down and asked him if he was hungry. He wanted some fried rice. We had the server bring some food for La and used our fabulous English teacher skills to talk to him. He inhaled half the plate and then asked if he could take the rest to his mom, who was begging a few streets down. The server translated some of the things we asked him, but the kid was pretty friendly and cute. Apparently he does that a lot... I feel bad about perpetuating the situation (this is just one of the very strange encounters with beggar kids I have had) but I guess it feeds his little belly for a night right?

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home