Friday, March 09, 2007

From Russia with Love

I've been waiting to use that as a post title, so what better than my last day. I had a great time in St. Petersburg and in Russia in general. Everyone tried to scare me out of coming here but I can honestly say it was one of the best experiences of my life.

Yesterday (March 8) was International Women's Day. Last year I did some tug of war with the teachers at my school and today I got champagne. Zhenya and Ed had a bottle of champagne delivered to my hostel because they wanted me to soak up a Russian experience. It is a huge holiday in Russia and similar to Valentine's Day. It was so sweet and kind and thoughtful and just made my day.

This afternoon was the Russian Museum, which had an amazing exhibit of Russian folk art- tapestries and pottery and wood carvings, and then the Cathedral of the Spilled Blood, built on the site where Alexander the II was murdered. It is similar to St. Basil's in the colored and twisty spires but the inside is bright and vibrant and covered in mosiacs.

Cathedral of the Spilled Blood

I met Zhenya and Ed again for coffee tonight and then went back to the hostel and met up with Aaron and Molly, a couple teaching English in about 14 hours from St. Petersburg in a smaller city, so we traded stories about small towns and teaching English. We had a few beers and played cards and enjoyed the evening.

Tomorrow is the Hermitage in the morning/afternoon and then some last minute walking before I head to Riga.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home