Thursday, March 08, 2007

Trench Foot

Trench foot. I don't really know what that is, but I am completely sure that I have it. My knock off Timberlands from China have bitten the dust. Meaning they weren't waterproof and I walked around with ice blocks for 3 days before throwing them out and buying a new pair of boots with rubber bottoms. Success. I am going to have to stick my feet in some serious bleach for a long time when I finally go home.

I am wonderful. Moscow was stunning. I went to see Lenin, who is set up at the North end of Red Square for the public to view him. It is a very frightening and cold experience- worth it for the whole atmosphere as opposed to actually seeing him. He apparently is removed every few days and wiped down, and then dipped in a form of paraffin every week to help prevent further decay. Strange. The building is very ominous- made of marble and has very armed, very mean looking guards standing every meter through the whole thing that don't let you linger. Much like Mao, Lenin glows and looks surprisingly at peace.

Lenin's Tomb

Had some really great walks around the city. Moscow has a small town feel with its tiny winding streets and cobblestone roads, but a very big city pace with everyone bustling about.

I am taking the night train to St. Petersburg after 4 days in Moscow. People have told me that I will fall in love with the city, which is really hard to imagine because I am pretty blown away by this one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home