Thursday, November 23, 2006

Turkey Day

I tried really hard to stay stoic today. To just forget that everyone I loved was at home and doing fun family things (or miserable mandated family things) and getting ready to eat fantastic food and lay around and watch football and movies and enjoy the beginning of the holiday season. I thought about making my own Thanksgiving, but to be honest, I am pretty tired of making food that is kind of like food at home but just doesn't quite cut it. They do that a lot here with Western food... Spaghetti with ketchup on it, tomatoes cut up and put on ice cream, pizza with corn and not much cheese... It's not horrible, but I think I would rather just wait and pig out when I go home. I could do a chicken in the one pot that I own, but with no oven or pie or bread or anything, I think I would just miss it more with a half way meal. And really, my day is over so no worries. Thanksgiving for me means one extra day and night of football on Slingbox!

I can still do the football and movie part, but the people I love and good food thing... let me tell you I would do anything for some stuffing right about now. AHHH. And a pumpkin pie.

But I am just watching the news now... I could be in the military in the Middle East. I think I would rather be here in China. That is saying a lot. They do get stuffing though... But watching the service men and women wish happy thanksgiving to their friends and family on all these talk shows has me absolutely in tears. Thank you for all that you do.

Anyhow, I went downstairs to class today, and as I was sitting at my desk, 45 little kids came into the office and gave me Thanksgiving cards. Apparently Vicki had making cards for me a class project today. I almost cried. I think I would have if I wasn't in such a crappy mood. But they are the cutest cards complete with rainbows and designs and a semblance of a turkey roasting on a spit over an open flame. Yesterday I taught my classes how to make a turkey out of a traced hand, and half of the cards had big, bright gorgeous turkeys on them. Pride swelled and I was so touched that perhaps I have taught them one thing they will remember this year... how to make a turkey out of a handprint.

I'm thankful for a lot of things this year. For hot water and heat. Gorgeous little kids and the game of UNO. Care packages from my mom and fantastic friends. Bootleg DVDs. People that stay in touch and make me feel very loved even though I am far away. Learning new things every day and making new friends. Football and cheese and a really nice towel that actually dries you off and soaks up water that I "borrowed" from a hotel in Shanghai. High-speed internet. Fresh vegetables. Slingbox. Sounds kinda materialistic I know, but those are the things that have gotten me through this so for them I am forever thankful.

Happy Thanksgiving.






1 Comments:

At 11:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving! Brian & I are grateful that there are people like you in the world. You take care of yourself. We're thinking of you. Brian & Cindy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home