Sunday, December 31, 2006

Twas the Night Before 2007 and all thru Shanghai...

I am trying hard to live my moments fully and not think of anywhere else I would rather be, but right now, I would love to time zap my way back to one year ago today, with 15 of my bestest friends in a suite on South Beach. It was a night to remember- bodies crammed four to a bed, under beds, on chairs, in the tub, between the bar and in closets... ahhhh... Lots of pizza and booze and chants of "We Are..." as we walked down Ocean Drive ringing in 2006.

But alas. I am in the next best place. Shanghai. A city I have come to love and appreciate so much more than if I actually lived here. I love that I can speak imperfect Mandarin and get congratulated by people, instead of being laughed at or ignored like where I live. I love that I can walk down the street and fit in the crows, instead of being stared at. I love the sights and sounds and sitting by the river just relaxing. I love meeting new people at hostels or coffee shops and eating anything I please. I am going to miss it a lot when I leave China. It's funny because contrary to popular belief, I really don't hate my life here. I don't like where I live or the people around me or the ignorance, but I do enjoy traveling and learning a new language and my students and being able to experience places and things most people only ever dream of. It's hard to do it all by myself though. That is the one thing I would change. Having friends. After receiving the best Christmas gift a girl could ever get from her friends, it makes me just want
to be around people that I love and love me back. I am pretty full of love right now... just enough to last me 30 more days, before Tara gets back and I can visit with her for a bit before setting out on my Eastbound adventure.

Christmas came and went for me. Not too exciting. But New Year's Eve should be a fun one. In China I think it is mainly just celebrated for the foreign community, as the Chinese New Year is held on February 18th this year... but we have 3 days off from school and there are lots of special dinners and parties here in the city... an early start to the year of the pig!

Xintiandi, a great little section of Shanghai is apparently hosting a big outdoor bash. While it is pretty freaking cold here, I have a few extra pounds of winter weight and a puffy coat so I should be ok. We'll see. I'm doing it alone which is cool with me. There should be some friendly folks with whom I can chat.

I'll take videos. You can probably even see them before you have your own New Year's Eve celebration 13 hours later (for you East Coasters...) which is really strange.

My New Year's Eve Day was good. Read for awhile at a coffee shop, found a great little shop that sells the BEST paper mache figures ever and went to IKEA. Nothing too exciting... Actually more expensive than the ones in the States, but something new to do in the city for me.

No real plans the next few days... just wandering around and enjoying the city.

Much love and I wish I could celebrate with you all... Happy New Year!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home