observations
It is really hard to keep a reverse journal. We tried to do it before Jack left so that we would remember all the funny things that happened these past two weeks, but things just blend together when you laugh for 10 days straight!
Bangkok is a strange place. Today I bought armloads of orchids, spray roses and gerber daisies for 150 baht. Around 4 US dollars. And then 10 minutes away you can shop at Gucci, Prada, Burberry and Louis Vitton. I am not really sure how they can exist in the same city. I guess all cities are like that, but Bangkok is such a strange place that it just doesn't seem right.
Street food overwhelms me. I love it. Barbeque grills heaped with anything you can imagine, on a stick of course, and manned by a little old lady fanning the coals with her bamboo fan to keep them burning. I haven't tried the mystery meat yet but will at some point. I love the fruit in a bag stands too. Little pushcarts filled with fruits... For 25 American cents you can get a bag full of pineapple, watermelon, mango or papaya... mmmmm... the colors are mouth-watering.
Roti with condensed milk and yummy fried concoctions... having a good time. The smells only make me ill occasionally, but I have learned to hold my breath when I sense a funky smell.
I also love how everyone smiles. There isn't the snickering and laughing that goes on in China if a Thai person doesn't understand me, just a slight head nod and a look of question.
Missing home today. Maybe it is because Jack left, but I think it is just sinking in that everyone at home is beaching and summering and doing fun things. Granted, I am in Thailand so I shouldn't winge, but just missing something else...

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home