Monday, July 03, 2006

Day 3- polo


First of all, it is fantastic to see foreign people that have big arms and thighs. Just fantastic. Brightened my day immensely and reminded me that I really am normal. After 6 months of being called fat, it was truly refreshing to see some hot polo girls that had great athletic bodies and not feel too far away... I mean, still have to lose a few post-college pounds but reminded me that people here are just freakishy small, let alone have serious weight attitude problems.

In polo news, it is quite amazing that this little town has a gorgeous, professional swimming pool. The area looks like a multi-sport training facility, as it has a track, outdoor pool with different diving platforms, tennis courts and gymnastics hall. Flags were everywhere, exclaiming "We Happy Welcome Foreign Water Polo Celebrate Around the World," and I knew I was in the right spot... I also knew that something was happening, because hundreds of Chinese people were lining the whole street up to the pool entrance... perhaps trying to get a glimpse of some foreigners... GASP!

I just walked through the throngs (everyone asking me if I was Australian or a New Zealander)and found a seat at half-court of the first balcony. It appeared that everyone around me had tickets... but no one said anything to me, so I just sat in my excellent seat and enjoyed the games. Score 1 for the laowai.

The first game was China A vs. China B. China has only had a national women's team for 2 years. Can you believe it? Sitting in the stands made me wistful for polo... for all of my teams and teammates and all of the fantastic wins and tournaments and memories. I miss you guys. Anyhow, China A swamped China B but honestly, they were both pretty slow-paced. At least they were into it. The women were screaming and creating fouls and movement in the water. Refreshing. Nothing like the agression I've seen with other teams, but for Chinese women, they were rockstars.



The Opening Ceremony was later on in the day. Just imagine. Girls in sparkly dresses, three translators, lots of cameras and tv crews and the typical Chinese hoopla. It took about an hour to do a 15 minute presentation... photos to come because it was freaking funny. And there were a LOT of people there to watch. Standing and sitting on the floor room only as people gazed at the foreign friends with suits up their butts. I followed the gaze of the guy next to me many times as he watched a girl bend over to zip up her suit and the snickering that he shared with his friend. The ceremony had a flag parade and was completed with a synchro routine that was pretty incredible.





Australia vs. New Zealand was more like it. Real polo. Lots of agression and tearing down suits (that made my neighbor laugh too when he got some chest views) and fouling. Australia dominated the game from the beginning and there really was no chance for NZ. The Kiwi goalie was amazing however, and saved about 10 really good shots. It was a really great evening and I'm sitting in a net cafe now bringing in the 4th of July.

Pics to come.

Love and hugs. Enjoy the fireworks for me.
C

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home