Zhenjiang
Last Sunday I went to Zhenjiang for the day with Kym and Debbie. It was an afternoon trip- based primarily on the fact that we wanted to eat at McDonalds and go to the grocery store with the imported food section. Ever since reading Fast Food Nation and watching Super Size Me, I just felt like boycotting McDonalds because I don't support what they do and prepare. I can proudly say that I have only eaten at McDonalds twice in the last two years. Once was on a road trip up to PSU... A chicken sandwich at a rest stop outside of Harrisburg. The other was during my road trip to Miami with my mom and Drew. I had the 3-7am shift and had a bacon, sausage muffin thing that was amazing, hash browns and coffee. I love breakfast sandwiches and try to stay away from them for the most part.
Digression... So yeah, McDonalds. I have been craving it since I have been here in China and on Sunday, had a spicy chicken meal and fries that was just delicious. Zhenjiang has 3 McDonalds! We don't have any in my town, so this was a big deal.
As for the foreign food section of the store, there are a few large grocery stores in Yangzhong, but none of them have any western foods (asides from Coca Cola and Sprite). There are Lays potato chips and Bugles, but they are cooked differently and don't taste very good. In Zhenjiang, I picked up some tuna, pasta, butter, Kraft singles, jam, white sandwich bread and microwave popcorn. Go figure. Most of those things I have NEVER purchased in my entire life. Not entirely true, but I really haven't purchased Kraft singles for myself... For polo cookouts mainly, and I think we had some for our 2 day porch party... I think it is scary and radioactive. The fact that it can last for years freaks me out. And white bread is a negative also... I was a bit bummed out to not see any good mustard or salad dressing, but we can't have it all...
My grilled cheese sandwich last night was out of this world. I also made pasta with tomatoes and eggplant, which rocked. I am getting used to my makeshift kitchen in the bathroom and shopping like a town lady, going to market each day for my veggies.
Back to Zhenjiang. We also found a music store... and I think I am going to buy an acoustic guitar and teach myself guitar so that next time I see some of my musically inclined buddies I can play along in their sets:) Wishful thinking...
Until next time...

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home