Saturday, February 18, 2006

Breathe.

So today was insane. Actually it started last night. We took the train from Shanghai to Zhenjaing, and had a fancy dinner with the principals and our helpers and stuff. My aide/english helper/right hand girl is Orange. She is 28, looks like she is 13 and is very sweet. However, the first thing she did was tell me that I don't want to stay in Yangzhong for a long time because there are no foreigners and it is no fun because there isn't a university, so everyone my age leaves to go other places. I had a mini freak out fest because I really didnt understand why she was telling me that it wasn't fun... Actually, it was a big freak out fest. But things have gotten way better!

Basically, I am on this island with 300,000 people and 10 foreigners. I live in the school in an apartment. The apartment is 4 rooms attached lengthwise, so it is a long rectangle space. I have a bathroom/kitchen that is connected. I can wash my dishes in the tub (because that is the only hot water I can get) and fry up some food in my wok at the same time! Not really, but close enough.

Then I have a sitting room/dining room with a fridge, rice cooker, cabinet, table and chairs and microwave. The next room is a "foyer" so to speak. I put my hat rack there and a map of China. My bedroom is next. I used to have a tiny TV but they gave me a hgue one... Not that it matters bc everything is in Chinese except one channel that is full of tidbits of info and randomness about China. Then there is a sunroom next to my bedroom but it is damn cold and not insulated so I shut that door off... I have one heater in the whole space, but my room still registers as 14 degrees C, which is in the 50s F. Damn cold. I didnt take a bath for 3 days because it was so cold and I didnt want to freeze.

I also have a washing machine but it baffles me. I havent used that yet.

I asked if Icould get a pet... hahha... they said yes. so i might get a puppy bc he would be fun.... I saw one on the street for sale and he was really sweet. I might just get a fish because that would be easy. But I would love to have a real friend.

I am starving because lunch was lung fish chunks, congealed pigs blood and intestines and bamboo and pork-which was excellent, but the rest was terrifying- no shit). The grocery store is right across the street from my school and I bought some noodles and a wide assortment of cookies for like 10 cents a pack, so hopefully that will sustain me...

I had lunch with my principal and her 10 year old and Orange and 4 other people who work at this factory that the school runs... I don't understand that either, but they own a factory. Her ten year old is cute and round and has the flattest roundest face with these huge red cheeks that protrude from her face... her nickname is Jow-Jow and she is in my sixth grade class.

Orange went out of town this weekend, so she took me to rent movies.. And I got a cell phone and a space heater.

I am ok. I am safe, I feel safe, I am fine, I am happy to be here.. I am just a bit shaken. I am living in China. Wow. Talk about culture shock. It was different in Shanghai because even though it was so different, it was still westernized, whereas this place is the country. I mean, as country as you can get with 300,000 people. But no universities and rice patties and no heat and general scariness.

I got my school schedule... I teach grades 3-6 from 10-4 Monday to Weds and then 1 to 4 on Thurs and Fri. Not bad, but they say it will change. 17 classes in total, at 40 minutes a class.

More later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home